10 Facts about Marble
Marble is one of the most widely used natural stones all over the world. From being used in flooring to making beautiful kitchen countertops and other structures in homes and commercial buildings, it is used to accentuate the very look and feel of a place.
Here are some facts that you ought to know about Marble.
1. Marble is a Greek word that refers to the shining and sparkling physical appearance of the stone.
2. Marble is a metamorphic stone. It changes its composition over time from one rock to another. Limestone is softened over time under conditions of extreme heat and pressure, and is then recrystallized as marble.
3. Marble is composed of calcite, aragonite and dolomite crystals.
4. Marble is highly porous in nature. Oils, fat, and grease stain it easily and it is easily damaged by acids.
5. Contrary to its appearance, marble is a relatively soft stone. It ranks between 2 and 5 on the Mohs scale used for determining the hardness of rocks and stones.
6. Marble is available in several colors, such as pink, grey, black, brown, green, red, and white.
7. White marble is the most popularly used marble. Most of the world’s most beautiful and prized sculptures are made out of white marble.
8. Ground marble is used in making some papers and paints and also in toothpaste.
9. The use of marble dates back to the era of ancient Greeks and Romans who used it for sculptures and architecture.
10. Most of the Renaissance art and sculpture is made out of this classic natural stone.
Keep these facts in mind when buying marble flooring or marble kitchen countertops for your home. To maintain the beauty of your marble floors, hire services of expert marble floor cleaners and terrazzo floor cleaners at least twice a year.